We don’t consume a lot of meat at home during the week but Nihari is one of the dishes that we can have any day. For those of you who don’t know what Nihari is, it is kind of a beef stew that is traditionally slow cooked for hours, sometimes even overnight with a number of spices. Obviously we don’t have that kind of time to spend on cooking so I tried it out with my Instant pot and made a version of Instant pot Nihari.
I used my Instant Pot Duo Mini 3 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer” for this recipe and it lasted us 3 days so it would be safe to say it makes around 6 servings.
Instant Pot Nihari
- Instant pot
- 500 grams Beef shank
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Shan Nihari Curry Mix - 60g
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup oil
- 5-8 tbsp all purpose flour (depends on how thick you want your nihari)
- Lemon for garnishing
- Ginger for garnishing
- Green chillies for garnishing
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Turn your Instant pot on Saute mode and add oil, once hot add in your onions and saute until golden brown
- Next add in your ginger garlic paste and saute for another 15-20 seconds.
- Add in your meat and stir it well with the paste, let it cook for around 3-4 minutes.
- Next, cancel saute mode. Add all your spices mix well with the meat and top it with water till the 2/3 mark.
- Let it pressure cook for 25 minutes. Meanwhile make a paste out of your all purpose flour and water. This will help thicken the nihari.
- Once the 25 minutes are over Quick release the pressure, once the pin drops remove the lid.
- Stir in the flour mixture with the nihari stirring slowly. Make sure there are no lumps in your flour mixture.
- Once done, stir it well and close the lid. Put it on pressure for another 20 mins.
- (Optional) Tarka: add in half a teaspoon of Nihari masala, some julienned ginger in hot oil for 30 seconds and mix it with your nihari before serving.
- Once done, quick release the pressure. Garnish with julienned ginger, cilantro, lemon and green chillies.
- Serve hot with naan.